Thursday, August 19, 2010

Gray day blues...

(I wrote this on Thursday but just got around to finishing it and adding the pictures today)

Thursday, Aug 19th
What is it about the weather that can affect my mood so much? I woke up today feeling groggy, and got to work still feeling the same. I slept like the dead last night though, aquafit must have helped! It was my first time and I enjoyed it. It was nice just to be in the water again, I never go swimming anymore.... I can still smell the chlorine on my skin today and that makes me happy.

The bathing suit part usually is the biggest deterrent but I felt comfortable once I was in the water splashing away. Except for those bitches in bikinis, it wasn't an intimidating group either. Thanks Kristin, I will definitely come again!!

I made a delish dinner before I left that I found on "Audrey Needs More Wooden Spoons" blog Black bean tacos with feta and cabbage slaw. At first when I read this I thought what a weird combination, but then I checked out the recipe and thought it would be something new and fun to try. Plus it's more exciting then my usual can of veggie chili tacos. I wimped out on making my own shells, though I also couldn't find any corn tortillas. But I still think they turned out great and James was just happy that I cooked something for once! I also doubled the amount of spice in the bean mixture because it was a bit too bland for my taste but I saw a lot of reviews that said that as well. You just need to taste as you go and see what works for you.
I will make them again for sure, they were quick, easy and very tasty!



We had with it a bagged Southwest salad from Thriftys. It comes with pre washed and torn lettuce mix, grated cheese, tortilla strips and dressing so it was easy to throw together. You could make a better salad yourself but they work well in a pinch... plus it was on sale! :)

We also had some really tasty meals a few nights before, here's the bbq we had when Perry came down. A bbq salmon burger with mayo and broccoli slaw, a fennel, orange, apple, cherry tomato and assorted seeds salad with homemade balsamic dressing and bbq potatoes.



And lastly this is a dish we saw on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations Rome episode and had to try. It's called Caccio e Pepe. James even made the Parmesan bowl to eat it out of! It turned out to be too rich to eat the whole thing but it was a tasty indulgence! With it I made a spinach salad with strawberries, red onion, mushrooms and seeds with the same homemade balsamic dressing. I also had a glass of Riesling from a bottle opened about a month ago... that wasn't as good, but makes the picture look much more classy!



BTW I am in love with our pasta bowls from Ikea!! Is that sad? We are silly and always buy just two when we go, then get home and wonder why we only bought two? We want to use them all the time! Plus what if we have guests? Though really.. when do we have guests? Oh well, now it's an excuse to go to Ikea again and buy two more!

No comments:

Post a Comment